If you are currently on the lookout for new kitchen cabinets, you should keep a thorough plan in mind for your kitchen renovation. Kitchen cabinetry is an important part of your home’s design and reflects a house’s value. For that reason, identify the goals and priorities that are important to you in advance. This will be helpful in providing a clear image of what you want your new kitchen to look like. Before making any purchases, take on these steps first.
Design a kitchen layout
Start your kitchen renovation by creating an accurate scaled floor plan that showcases the existing space, along with the door, window and other important dimensions or present utilities. If needed, make a rough sketch and arrange major appliances with the most efficient use of space.
Set a realistic budget
Before buying a kitchen cabinet, consider the future plans you have for your home. If the house will eventually be up on the market or become a rental, a kitchen remodel might not be the best idea. However, if you are designing the dream kitchen of your forever home, you can invest in the mid- to high-end cabinets of your desires. Next, measure your kitchen to find out the amount of space that will be needed for the cabinets. Buying kitchen cabinets can account for as much as 40 percent of your budget. Also, keep in mind that customizing your cabinets with extra features will have extra costs and add more than 20 percent to the total cost. Even so, you can still find ways to minimize costs while getting the features that you want. For example, you can choose to have add-ons if they are an absolute must-have.
Choose the type of kitchen cabinet you want
Kitchen cabinets are manufactured and made available in three different options: stock, semi-custom, and custom.
- Stock cabinets are mass-produced and are often pre-assembled and ready for installation. They are the least expensive option, but may only be available in a limited range of colours, material options, and styles.
- Custom cabinets are built according to your choice, including the exact size and style specifications in the material, colour, and finish that you would like. In most cases, they offer one-of-a-kind features and are designed with a lot of care and detail, which means that it will require a longer production time and a high-end price.
- Semi-custom cabinets are similar to stock cabinets, but still have extra details of their own that can be personalized based on your individual style and storage capabilities.
Selecting a cabinet size
Before choosing the design and style of your cabinets, consider what sizes you need. Take a look at your current cabinets and ask yourself what they are lacking, whether that be in terms of height, width, depth or where you require storage room. The following dimensions are often found in cabinets and can be used as a guide:
- Stock cabinets: Ranges in widths from 12 to 36 inches
- Wall cabinets: Ranges in height from 12 to 42 inches
- Standard wall cabinets: 24 inches deep
- Tall cabinets: 84, 90, and 96 inches tall
- Base cabinets: Between 32 and 38 inches tall, and width varies from 9 to 46 inches
Some manufacturers might provide other height and width options. Custom-made cabinets, on the other hand, can accommodate any space. If you are collaborating with an architect or designer, the hired professional should help you find a cabinet size that matches your needs. However, if you are undertaking a DIY project for your kitchen renovation, do not feel pressured to do it all alone. Many home improvement centers provide a design service that provides a configuration, based on your space and budget. There are also computerized design services that can help plot the kitchen out after being given measurements.
Decide on framed or frameless cabinet styles
Cabinet builds are often described as being either “framed” or “frameless”. Framed cabinets are the ones that are made with a box and face frame. A face frame can make the box thinner and allow it to fit into tighter spaces. Frameless cabinets, on the other hand, have thicker cabinet boxes, and doors and drawers are attached to them. Without a face frame in the way, it becomes easier to have full access to the interior.
Assess quality of model
Take a good look at the cabinets and ask yourself questions to determine the quality of the cabinets, drawers, doors, and shelves. For example, are the drawers solid wood? Do they slide smoothly? Does the cabinet door swing easily? Are the hinges adjustable? If you answered “yes” to these questions, there is a high chance that you have your hands on a higher-quality construction.
Now that you know all of the things that should be considered prior to choosing new cabinets, visit us in Brampton at Envyland Kitchen! We are the best providers for cabinets and also offer many other quality grade products and accessories, like kitchen countertops in granite and quartz and more! Call us today and let us help you achieve your dream kitchen!